<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://bullocksbuzz.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Bullock's Buzz: Kit Cat Clock: A Classically Cute Cat Clock 80th Anniversary

Monday, November 5, 2012

Kit Cat Clock: A Classically Cute Cat Clock 80th Anniversary

The California Clock Company
2012 Holiday Gift Guide Selection
kitcatlogo
   The mid-1930’s, the country was facing the worst economic crisis ever. Yet out of this horrible time came one of the most memorable clocks ever made, the California Clock Company’s Kit Cat Clock, whose wagging tail and rolling eyes helped put a smile back on people’s faces and in their hearts, thus began the history of this hilarious clock. 
   The Kit Cat Clock became such a popular character, that his face graced the covers of books, magazines, cartoons and clothes and more.  But in the 1980’s the Kit Cat Clock was almost lost when the cost to produce the inner workings of the clock, which at the time was electric, became too much due to the scarcity and expense of American-made motors, and the lack of a battery powerful enough to move all of his parts.  Instead of outsourcing production to a foreign country, California Clock Company took it upon themselves to create entirely new inner workings that utilized both battery power and gravity to retain the Kit Cat Clock’s unique “one-second” animation and accurately keep the time as well. 
  This year, 2012, marks the 80th Anniversary of the Kit Cat Clock, and although some changes have been made over the years, such as the hands being changed from metal to plastic, the addition of a bow-tie and a top set of paws, and a fourth toe being added on the bottom paws, the love and popularity of the Kit Cat Clock continues today, as does the Kit Cat’s Creed:
“Put a smile on everyone’s face,
Love in everyone’s heart:
Energy in everyone’s body;
And – Be a positive force in
everyone’s life!” 
   The California Clock Company kindly sent me a clock for review.  Ever since I saw a Kit Cat Clock on my Grandparents wall, I have wanted one of my own, so you can imagine how excited I was when it arrived at my door!  Even the box it came in is incredibly cute and tells a little of his history, as well as instructions and other information. 
                          reviews14 001         reviews14 003
   The clock was extremely easy to assemble!  All I had to do was remove the back in order to install two “C” size batteries, place the tail on the lever at the bottom of the clock, replace the back, and then hang him on a wall and enjoy!  He makes a pleasant ‘tic-toc’ sound, and puts a smile on our face hour after hour.  Apparently he was a welcome addition to everyone including our cat!  She was so intent on welcoming him that the first time I hung him on the wall she was immediately entranced and decided to attack the swinging tail!  I wish I had been able to get a picture of her jumping on the back of the couch and doing her best to swat at his tail!  Needless to say, Kit Cat had to be moved to the opposite wall where now our cat can only stare longingly at the rolling eyes and wagging tail!
reviews25 101
   Over the last 80 years Kit Cat has become such a popular and positive character with his smiling face, wagging tail, rolling eyes and optimistic outlook on life that he can be found on all kinds of collectible products including T-shirts, watches, towels, cookie jars, greeting cards and postcards and more!  
   Since this year also marked Kit Cat’s first appearance in the Rose Bowl parade, I was sent a collectible postcard that has “The Rose Parade 2012” written across the top above a picture of the float, and then the words “Timeless Fun for Everyone” written along the bottom.
reviews25 117
  Plus, I was sent an adorable Kit Cat greeting card, ‘Smile’!   This single fold card has a picture of Kit Cat’s smiling face with the words, “You bring out the smile in me!” on the front.  Inside, the ‘Kit Cat Creed’ is on the back of the cover, while the other side has another picture of his face behind the words: “Every time you look at Kit-Cat, let your smile come out, it’s time to remember that you are special to me!”
reviews25 096   reviews25 098   reviews25 097
   Although most people picture the classic Kit Cat Clock as being black in color, for years now they have been offered in a new and different color, each of which are made for only one year.  These “Limited Edition” clocks are usually sold out within 2 years.  They also occasionally make “Special Edition” Jeweled Kit Cat clocks which are decorated with beautiful Austrian crystals!  You can also find Lady Kit Cat Clocks in different colors with a beaded collar and long eyelashes, but you have to catch these quick as they too are “Limited Edition” and will be retired. 
   Every time I look at my Kit Cat Clock a smile crosses my face! I believe these clocks would make a wonderful gift this Holiday Season!  Kit Kat Clocks come in two sizes, 15.5” and the 3/4 scale model which measures 12.75” from head to the tip of the tail.  Prices will vary depending on size, color and if you are ordering a “Limited Edition” or “Special Edition”.  Kit Cat Clocks of all available colors and styles can be purchased through the Kit Cat Clock website HERE.  You can also find the clocks at retail locations all over the United States and other countries;  to search for a location near you enter your zipcode on the Kit Cat Clock website Retail Store Locator page.  Plus, now through Christmas when you order a Kit Cat Clock, you will get one Kit Cat greeting card, ‘Smile’ for free!
 

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

At November 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Pam said...

This is adorable and I have a few friends that I know this will be the perfect gift for. I do remember this clock also.

 
At November 5, 2012 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Angie Harris said...

Oh my gosh I just love this clock I have to tell my hubby to get it for me for Christmas . Thank you for sharing!!!

 
At November 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM , Blogger Melinda Dunne said...

Oh my gosh I remember that! My dad is a huge clock collector and we had one. LOL. It is so funny how somethings are making a comeback.

 
At November 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely love this class retro clocks. Jealous! Have always wanted one.

 
At November 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM , Blogger Mrs.Sasser said...

I love this. My 5 yr old is going nuts for it!

 
At November 5, 2012 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

I love this clock, My grandparents had one, you just took me down memory lane, Thank you for this post..

 
At November 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have seen this clock before, and every time, including reading this post it just puts a smile on my face. I have an aunt who would love this clock.
Kelli Avery

 
At November 5, 2012 at 9:05 PM , Blogger JustADealJess said...

OH MY GOODNESS...I WANNA HAVE ONE OF THESE

 
At November 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM , Blogger Mrs. Stephens said...

I love this clock. It reminds me of Saturday morning cartoons.

 
At November 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW I can't believe this is so popular! I didn't even know they still made it!

 
At November 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM , Blogger 2 Kids and a Coupon said...

Very cute -- love the retro look!

 
At November 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

These are so cute and remind me of cartoons! I'd love to sport one of these clocks on my wall!

 
At November 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM , Blogger SOS Mom said...

Would've never guessed that it has been around for that long... It is such a classic! It reminds me of my childhood for some reason... Such a fun piece!

 
At November 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I havent seen one of those since I was a kid....so cool!

 
At November 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

so cute! I remember these cute clocks well.

 
At November 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

So cute! I love these! :)

 
At November 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love those clocks! We had one of these Felix the Cat looking clocks when I was a kid!

 
At November 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM , Blogger Debra Angell said...

Yes these clocks are so cute on many levels :)

 
At November 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

My son would love one of these..he is obsessed with clocks LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home