<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://bullocksbuzz.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Bullock's Buzz: National School Lunch Week: What is Your Child Eating?

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

National School Lunch Week: What is Your Child Eating?

Healthy Alternatives for Lunch from Home:  Welch’s Fruit Snacks and Sparkling ICE

lunch 010

   The week of October 15 through October 19 is designated the National School Lunch Week, a week to celebrate the positive changes that have been made in school lunch programs across the country.  Changes that include smaller portion sizes, healthier foods and in some cases increased prices.  Like everything else, these changes have sparked some controversy, but no matter which side you come down on, one basic fact remains the same the whole purpose of these changes is to provide a healthier meals for our children.

   Of course, if you are not happy with these changes, you can always send your child to school with their lunch.  This is what I do to ensure that my child is getting healthy food, in the right proportions so he is not going hungry, nor over-eating and adding to the shockingly high statistic America has concerning overweight children.  I also want to be sure my child has variety in his lunches so that he does not get sick of eating the same thing day after day.  So I am always on the lookout for healthy, affordable alternatives to send in his lunch.  I want to tell you about two products my son and I tried that are not only “better for you” choices, but are also quick and simple to put together in a lunch box: Welch’s Fruit Snacks and Sparkling ICE. 

healthylunch 004

   Welch’s is a name we all know and trust.  I can remember seeing Welch’s juice and jams in the refrigerator when I was a child.  All of their products are made from 100% natural fruits grown on family farms, and this includes their yummy treats, Welch’s Fruit Snacks.  These soft, bite-sized chewy fruit snacks are made with real fruit and real fruit juices.  They contain 100% of the recommended daily value of Vitamin C, 25% of the recommended daily value of Vitamins A and E, and are fat-free, gluten-free and contain no preservatives.  They come in 10 great varieties and are available in sizes ranging from single serving size packs (1.75oz) up to 5 ounce packs.  They can be bought by the box with 10, 22 or 40 packs per box.  Welch’s Fruit Snacks make for an easy and healthy alternative to sugar filled cookies and candies in your child’s lunch. 

lunch 011

   Flavors include Fruit Punch, Strawberry, Concord Grape, White Grape Raspberry. White Grape Peach, as well as a selection of mixed flavors such as Berries & Cherries, Tangy Fruits, Island Fruits and Mixed Fruits.  Welch’s Fruit Snacks are also available in Reduced Sugar which have 35% less sugar than regular fruit snacks. Varieties include Strawberry, Raspberry, Peach, Concord Grape and Orange.  They are available at many grocery stores, convenience stores, mass merchandisers and more nationwide.  They can also be purchased online through sites such as Amazon.  Average price will vary depending on size and quantity, but range from $.89 to $7.99.

healthylunch 006

   Sparkling ICE is another healthy selection for your child’s lunchbox.  Fresh spring water, natural fruit juice and six vitamins and antioxidants combine to make a great-tasting, nutritious, lightly carbonated drink which is a refreshing alternative to sugared fruit juices and sodas.  Available in eight unique flavors, Sparkling ICE is caffeine-free, contains no carbohydrates, sugar or sodium, and is sweetened with Splenda.

lunch 007

   Flavors include Black Raspberry, Kiwi Strawberry, Lemon Lime, Orange Mango, Pink Grapefruit, Lemonade, Pomegranate Berry and Coconut Pineapple.  Sparkling ICE can be found nationwide at retailers such as Winn Dixie, Kroger, Walmart, Publix and more, as well as online through Amazon and other sites.  Average cost is $1.29 per 17fl. oz. bottle.

healthylunch 007

What Daniel Says:

Welch’s Fruit Snacks

  I love taking my lunch to school when my mom puts in a lot of good tasting stuff to eat!  This week has been one of my favorites so far because of the chewy fruits by Welch’s!  It’s cool how they are shaped like the fruit they are supposed to be, and taste like it, too.  They are chewy and sweet and taste like fruit. My favorite kind so far is the Mixed Fruit. 

Sparkling ICE

   These are pretty good! They are much better than plain water, and they are fizzy like soda.  I didn’t like the Pink Grapefruit, but I like the other two!  My favorite flavor is the Coconut Pineapple.  I took it to school today, and it was so big it lasted me through out the whole day and then some!  I think there may even be enough for tomorrow.

What Mom Says:

Welch’s Fruit Snacks

   I like these too!  They come in the perfect potion size, and work well both as a part of lunch or as a snack.   They have a real fruit taste, and are sweet enough to satisfy any child’s sweet tooth without all the junk.  I like knowing that they provide all the recommended amount of Vitamin C, as well as a large part of Vitamins A and E, plus they are fat-free!  I would like to try the Reduced Sugar Welch’s Fruit Snacks as well, since I try hard to limit the amount of sugar in our diets.

Sparkling ICE

   Daniel is always wanting a soda, and we will only let him have one a day, and never send one to school.  Sparkling ICE provides the solution!  He gets his “fizzy” drink, and I can be happy knowing his “fizzy” drink is actually good for him!   I like the taste as well, but believe I would prefer to try some different flavors!  I really like the fact that they are fat-free and sugar-free with no carbohydrates, plus they have added vitamins and antioxidants!  Definitely a better choice than sugar-filled fruit juices, sodas and all of those other drinks they sell geared towards children.

Verdict:  Better for You and On-The Go

   Morning time is hectic, and while I want him to have the healthiest lunch possible, I also need the products to be quick and easy to put together, both Welch’s and Sparkling ICE fit the bill perfectly!

 

lunch 004

   There are many healthy and delicious choices to add to our children’s lunches and these are just a sample. Even if your child purchases their lunch at school, you can always send a little extra to be sure that your child is getting enough healthy choices when it comes to lunch at school.   This National School Lunch week, make a point to be sure your child is getting the proper nutrition they need to stay alert, focused and healthy.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At October 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM , Blogger Icar said...

looks like a really healthy lunchbox from the food to the beverages, good job mom!

Icar
http://mycharmedmom.com/

 
At October 17, 2012 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Carries Rambles said...

I love Sparkling Ice, the black raspberry is my favorite

 
At October 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

My daughter loves Sparkling water, thank you for psting this..

 
At October 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fruit snacks, have not tried the sparkling ICE. I have been wanting to but was kind of afraid to. I will definitely pick some up tomorrow.

 
At October 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Tamara W said...

What great ideas, I have not heard of the sparkling ice I will have to try it next time I go to the market. My kids are always wanting something fizzy to drink.

 
At October 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Pam said...

I really need to try the sparkling ICE. It looks delicious.

 
At October 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM , Blogger Mellissa said...

My kids love Welches fruit snacks :O)Our school lunches have gotten so much better this year but one of my children still takes their lunch. We need to try these drinks.

 
At October 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM , Blogger Melinda Dunne said...

The lunch looks great! My son loves the fruit snacks but I haven't seen the drinks before. I will have to look for them.

 
At October 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Jerla Oh lalala said...

i think i tried that fruity snacks already. they're yummy

http://sandiegowithlovebyjerla.com/2012/10/do-you-want-some-blessings.html

 
At October 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Young At Heart Mommy said...

This looks like a lunch my daughter and I would BOTH eat! I really love the fruit snacks but have never tried the ICE drinks. Seems as though they have some great flavors though. I would like to try the Coconut Pineapple- two of my favorite flavors in one.

 
At October 17, 2012 at 8:00 PM , Blogger The Girlfriend said...

Sparkling ICE sounds like the business. I've never tried it, but I now want to try.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home