<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://bullocksbuzz.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Bullock's Buzz: Thursdays Thoughts

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thursdays Thoughts

When Life Gives You Lemons, Make…What?!?

 

20 Uses for Lemons

1.  Soothe a sore throat by gargling a mixture of 1 teaspoon lemon juice with 1/8 cup warm water. Frequently drinking cups of hot tea made with a tablespoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of honey will also work.

2.  Use it as a fingernail brightener!   Squeeze some lemon juice in a small bowl, clean your nails then soak them in the juice for one or two minutes.

3.  Get rid of dandruff by applying 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to your hair. Shampoo, then rinse with water. Then rinse again with a mixture of 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with 2 cups of water. Repeat every other day until dandruff is gone.

4.  Spray on hair, then go outside and sit in sunlight for natural looking highlights.  Rinsing hair with lemon juice will make it shiny as the citric acid removes build up from shampoo and styling products.  Use a quarter cup of lemon juice mixed with 1 cup of water.

5.  Use a paste made from lemon juice and salt to gently exfoliate skin. Lemon juice applied to the face with a cotton ball will act as a natural astringent and will eliminate oil and tighten pores. Eliminate blackheads by applying lemon juice to the blackhead right before you go to bed. When you wake in the morning rinse with cool water. Repeat for several nights, until you see a big improvement.

6.  Run out of deodorant? Cut a lemon in half or use a wedge and apply to your underarms. The citric acid will kill the odor-causing bacteria.

7.  Poison Ivy?  Rash? Unbearably itchy skin?  Apply lemon juice directly to affected area to soothe and keep the rash from spreading.

8.   Stop minor cuts from bleeding and prevent infection by applying lemon juice with a cotton ball.

9.  Sore feet?  Rough hands?  Apply lemon juice, rinse then massage with olive oil.

10.  Squeeze a little bit of lemon juice on cut fruits and vegetables like apples, avocados, pears and potatoes to keep them from turning brown.

11.  Perk up wilted lettuce by soaking it for one hour in a bowl of cold water mixed with the juice of one lemon.

12.  Deodorize a cutting board from odors cause by fish, garlic and more by cleaning the board with lemon juice.  Will also sanitize the board when you run a lemon slice over it.  Remove tough stains from light colored plastic or wooden cutting boards by covering it with lemon juice and leaving it on for 20 minutes then rinsing with cold water.

13.  Adding a few drops of lemon juice to a pot of simmering rice will keep it from sticking to the pot.

14.  Remove soft cheese or other sticky foods from a grater by rubbing both sides of it with the pulp side of a cut lemon.

 

15.  Clean brass, copper and stainless steel sinks by making a paste from lemon juice and salt.  Scrub the surface gently, then rinse with water.

16.  Use as an alternative to toxic insect repellants!  Bugs like ants, roaches, spiders and more are very sensitive to smells.  Squirt lemon juice along window sills, baseboards, into cracks, and in the thresholds of doors.  Also add lemon juice to your floor wash to mop your floors, this will also repel insects.

17.  Use lemon juice to clean hard water stains, debris and other marks from glass. Apply straight to a sponge for tough jobs, or dilute a few tablespoons in a cup of water and spray it on for regular jobs.

18.  Remove stains caused by sweat, wine, berries, mildew and more by using lemon juice. For durable fabrics make a paste of lemon juice and salt, then rub it on the stain. More delicate materials require a gentler touch, just saturate with lemon juice then wash it out. For ink stains, be sure to apply immediately

19.  Adding a quarter cup of lemon juice to the wash will act as a natural bleach and brighten your whites.

20.  Clean your microwave by using a solution of four tablespoons of lemon juice to 1 cup of water in a microwave safe bowl. Boil for 5 minutes allowing the steam to condense of the walls of the microwave. Wipe clean. 

Labels:

32 Comments:

At April 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM , Anonymous Garf said...

When I was a teenager, I used lemon as deodorant, as my hairspray, as shampoo and pretty much on everything that you listed on your article. We got that idea from my grandma and since we had a lot of lemon growing in our yard so we really made a good use of them.

 
At April 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM , Anonymous Corinne said...

Who knew lemons were such a super fruit? I LOVE finding natural remedies and cleaners. Pinning this so I can refer back to it often! Thanks for sharing.

 
At April 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM , Blogger Dana Vee said...

I love lemons on rice

 
At April 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Danielle S said...

These are all great tips! I pinned this. Thanks so much.

 
At April 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Tara said...

These are definitely great tips! I participate in a food co-op where I sometimes end up with 3-4 large lemons and don't know what to do with them because I don't cook with them that often. Thanks! There are a couple I'm a little skeptical about--for instance, with what I've learned about microbiological sciences, I don't really think lemon juice alone would *sanitize* a cutting board. However, I bet it does wonders for getting stains off!

 
At April 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

These are great tips... I didn't know half of these.. Thank you for sharing..

 
At April 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM , Anonymous Elisebet F said...

Wow! I knew a few of these, but most were new. Thanks for this! You can also use vinegar for #20.

 
At April 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Tracie Nall said...

I have always wanted to try doing highlights with lemons, but never knew how much to use. Thanks for the tip!

 
At April 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM , Anonymous Loreina said...

WOW! I never knew there were that many uses for lemons! I knew a few, but most were new to me. More reasons I NEED lemon trees! :)

 
At April 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM , Blogger Shauna said...

oh my, thank you... this is a great post

 
At April 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anna at Mama Writes said...

Love these lemon tips, I have actually used a few of them myself! I love the one for highlights on hair!

 
At April 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

We have used it on our cloth diapers before too.

 
At April 11, 2013 at 3:54 PM , Blogger Coupons and Friends said...

Wow some great ideas

 
At April 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I never knew lemons had so many uses! I would have never thought to use it as deodorant, lol! Thanks for sharing!

 
At April 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM , Blogger Samantha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At April 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Melinda Dunne said...

Great list of things to do with lemons. I love using them for different things I didn't know they could be used to clean a cheese grater that is great to know.

 
At April 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Adaptable Kay said...

Wow, that's A LOT of things to do with a seemingly simple piece of fruit! I've done the one where you spritz it on your hair and lay out and it really did work :)

 
At April 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Sarah Bailey said...

Wow fantastic I didn't not know you could do so much with lemons so long lemonaid! x

 
At April 11, 2013 at 6:52 PM , Anonymous Dee Mauser said...

Thanks for the tips. I need to try the one for rice. :D

 
At April 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM , Blogger MikiHope said...

I knew about some of these uses for lemons-but not all-thank you for the info!

 
At April 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Trendy Cyndie said...

Nice to know all this about lemon juice1

 
At April 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting I didn't know about 1/2 of those.

 
At April 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM , Blogger Knotts Scary Farm 2019 said...

Good to know

 
At April 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Happy Gardening, Kim said...

beautiful ~~~~ I shall keep this list handy

 
At April 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM , Blogger Conservamom said...

These is an awesome compilation. I will definitely book mark it!

 
At April 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is an amazing list. I am so going to try the treatment for sore feet.

 
At April 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM , Blogger Nova said...

Thank you for this very informative blog, i barely know the things that lemon can do..was thinking of another fruit to plant in our back yard and hopefully this will be included, although it's in my list

 
At April 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM , Blogger Chubskulit Rose said...

Wow, did not know that there are s many uses for lemons.

 
At April 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM , Blogger Juliana said...

wow...thanks for sharing this. Makes me want to buy lemons :D

 
At April 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post. I will be trying many of these, never knew there were so many uses other than cooking.

 
At April 13, 2013 at 12:16 AM , Anonymous Marms @ Mhar's Display said...

I like tip #3. I have to get rid of dandruff.

 
At April 15, 2013 at 7:21 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I used to use lemons on my hair when I was a kid. My mom would buy them for me to "eat" but she wouldn't buy me anything to lighten my hair with. Silly mom!! lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home